Saturday 21 March 2009

Up to date

So I'm sat here now with only 4 days to go before I fly to Morocco. I actually can't believe this is happening, can't imagine being there, and feel like I'm in a dream like state at the moment! Between Brecon and now I have been training steadily. A bit of gym training, running, walking etc... dune training again and the glued gaiters held up incredibly well!! A bit of cracking where the foot flexes but easily sorted. I feel pretty confident about the footwear now.

I am surrounded by kit, food and medical things. Today was the first attempt at actually fitting it all in. Oh dear. First attempt failed miserably. If I didn't have to eat I'd be fine. Loads of room! 2nd attempt was slightly more successful but the pack was bursting at the seams. 3rd attempt and feeling slightly happier (only slightly). Fitted everything in but it is seriously full to the brim. Knowing I have to fit a rather large flare into it as well doesn't help. May have to try and repack the food (again).

I have the ECG (normal) and medical form all signed, dated and stamped. Have my tickets, flight details, hundreds of painkillers, antibiotics etc etc.... sanity possibly not.

The truth is that I actually can't wait to go. I would never have dreamed that I would be capable of doing something like this. Not physically, I think anyone could train for something like this, but mentally... wouldn't have had the confidence to even think about something like this. But now, I just want to be there, standing on the start line, listening to PB dishing out advice, birthday greetings and AC/DC... all the things I've heard and I'm actually going to witness it first hand.

So I probably won't update this now until I return....

Here's hoping the story's a good one!

No comments: