Thursday 9 April 2009

And finally....last things and Tent 70

I suppose you'll hear differing opinions on the Mds.... most people will agree that it's not the Toughest Footrace on the Planet anymore, and it's not. But it's by no means easy. And I'm sure there are people who have done the race previously, or people who are doing it in the future who will think that we got off lightly, didn't do the full race, a bit of a cop out? Er no. The longest day will be forever etched in my mind. With hindsight, I loved it. Loved the challenges it gave me and the fact that it really did push my physical and mental toughness to the limits. Whatever people's opinions, this race continues to take out people who are physically and mentally incredibly fit. But there are so many factors that can finish your race for you. The sickness and diorreah for starters. So many people were poorly and out of all of the stories I heard I think Dave (the Quizmaster) (tent 68) and Fatlad (Keith) will stand out for me. Amazing how they carried on despite being ill for most if not all of the race.

Just writing this has made me very emotional (yep, I am prone to wearing my heart on my sleeve!!).

Before I thank my own tent I just wanted to say thanks to Perks and her tent (Mike A, Mike B, Rich, Dave, Andy, Rose and Graham). Saw a lot of them and they were always very supportive.

The only thing left to do is to thank my own tent mates. We'd agreed on our tent quite some time before we went. We all knew each other, felt comfortable with each other and knew that egos would be left behind (I don't think any of us have an ego anyway!).

So to Craig, Vicky, Gilly, Jeff, Steph, Al and Mark.... the best tent mates I could have asked for. We had a lot of laughs and a few tears and I don't know about anyone else, but part of me would love to be back there right now.

Thanks guys!

So what's next?!!

2 comments:

Dan said...

Well done Rach, an awesome achievement and something to be very proud of. We were all at the finish line when you came in and you could see how much it meant to you. Top effort... Dan

"Crazy-Canuck" said...

Hello

Awesome story and blog info. Congrats on your great acheivement! This event will always be the ulitmate challenge in life !I completed the event in 2008 and will returning in 2010.

Adwin "OJ" Gallant
Ottawa, Canada