Thursday 9 April 2009

Mds 2009 - Marathon day

So today was to be our last day. I think because of the conditions, our location etc etc, we were not to have the last stage on the Saturday. We would have marathon day today, stay at the bivouac tonight (Friday) and then be driven back to Ouarzazate on Saturday morning.

I had managed to eat last night and nothing had happened since!! I had decided that I wanted to do marathon day as quickly as I physically could. Steph was feeling really rough and was going to take the day slowly. Part of me wanted to get it over with and part of me wanted to put in a better performance than I did on the long day, because I'd literally crawled along!

Everyone was feeling incredibly positive - we'd actually almost reached the end. We could see the finish line (every time I thought about it I wanted to cry!!!).

I started off today with one of my tent mates, Vicky. She's an incredibly fast walker and we'd already agreed that if one wanted to go off, or drop pace that we would just go our own way.

After a short distance on the flat (more bloody stones), we reached a rocky climb. It was fairly steep and slow going due to the steady stream of people in front. Not too bad but I had to stop at the top for a picture!! Vicky was in front of me and had waited. We made our way down the other side and continued.... there was a similar climb shortly afterwards and once we'd passed this I told Vicky not to wait for me.... she's much faster and I would hate to hold anyone back. I was actually quite looking forward to putting on the ipod and getting lost in my thoughts.

Once the rocks and stones had been left behind (thank God) it was more sand dunes. I actually really like sand dunes... give me these any day over the flat, rocky plains that seem to go on for miles and miles. Okay, I wasn't keen on the dunes at night, but actually don't mind them. After a great forum tip of how to walk in the sand (sideways rather than walking straight forward and digging your toes in)... I actually found walking up them quite easy.

I had decided not to stop too long at any of the checkpoints. I saw Rab at the first one (I think) and sat down briefly. I just filled my water bottles, had some M&Ms and then left.... I think I did a similar thing at checkpoint 2 where I saw Rose. Each time I stopped my feet started hurting like hell. The faster I walked, the more numb they became which suited me fine! I had socks rolled up resting on my collarbones under my pack straps because they were really sore. This really helped. Even though the pack was a lot lighter it still hurt!

The walking poles were again, a massive help. I couldn't have managed without them I don't think.

I actually really enjoyed today. The further I went, I knew the finish was obviously getting closer. I couldn't stop picturing myself crossing the finish line, but every time I did I desperately wanted to cry. And if I'd have started I wouldn't have stopped! Managed to keep it under control! Once through the last checkpoint, the paths were rocky and seemed to go on for a long time but I was making good progress (for me!). After being passed by a couple of Landrovers on a track, an 'oasis' came into view... well it was water in the desert anyway! There were quite a few children around asking for gifts or 'bon bons'. The road went down towards the water and then disappeared into it. Great.... wet feet, and bandaged ones at that. Still, I didn't really care because I knew I only had about 6km left!! The water was just over ankle deep. There were a lot of the AOI Landrovers coming the other way so I waited until they had gone through before I waded in. Didn't want them soaking me!

Once through the water, the climb was steady.... more paths, rubble etc. My feet were killing me but looking at the time and knowing roughly the pace I was travelling at I knew I couldn't have far to go. There were a few people ahead of me and I saw some local children walking alongside them.

When I got further along, one boy came up to me and said '2 kilometres to bivouac'.... I didn't know whether he was telling me the truth or not!! Didn't want to believe him just in case it was a lot further! Another boy then came and starting talking to me. He took my elbow (must have looked knackered!!!). I said I was okay and he pointed to the top of the hill and said 'bivouac'...

Just as I got to the top of the ridge I could see it.... a long way in the distance across a very flat plain (a stony one funnily enough)... was the finish. Oh my God I seriously can't describe how that made me feel. I was going to finish the Mds!!! Okay, a different Mds, a unique Mds but I'd bloody cracked it!!

I walked along the top of the ridge and there were two officials helping competitors down onto the sandy slope which took you down to the flat. Sailed down the sand as if on Cloud 9 and then started on the last mile or so to the finish. I was really struggling to stop myself crying. Such an amazing feeling. If somebody had said to me 5 or 6 years ago that I would be here, doing this, I would have laughed my backside off. And so would most of the people who know me.

As I got nearer to the end a guy walked past (who had obviously already finished) and said 'Congratulations'.... huge lump in the throat now and I knew it wasn't going to last much longer. And then I saw someone sitting on the ground not far from me. As I got closer to him I realised it was one of my tent mates Jeff. He stood up and walked towards me and that was it.... the floodgates opened and I just said 'I need a hug!'. Had a much needed hug, gave Jeff my camera and tried to compose myself (unsuccessfully) to get to the finish. Then I saw another one of my tent mates Mark.... uncontrollable blubbing now... God I must have looked a sight! Loads of people clapping and cheering anyone coming in. I saw Gilly from my tent too and heard other people shouting my name. And then I crossed the line. It might sound crap but I was and still am so proud of myself! I had a kiss on each cheek from Patrick Bauer and he rubbed the back of my neck because I was crying so much!! 'Tres emotionale!' he said - damn right mate!!!

I did what I set out to do which was to finish and get my medal (a very nice medal it is too!!!).

Had my picture taken by one of the French photographers (I think).... must have been a good picture, tears and a lot of snot (apologies!).

2 years in the planning, more years reading and thinking about it. A truly amazing experience, stunningly beautiful in parts, painful and brutal in others. Incredibly emotional and something I will never forget. It was an Mds with a difference, obviously unique due to the conditions we encountered and the fact that the whole thing had to be re-routed in a couple of days. But I wouldn't change a single thing. You couldn't repeat this one if you tried!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice report about marathon run...Great post!!!

vibram

Ray Wise said...

brilliant.. this bought a tear to my eye.. and soon I'll be experiencing the same.. congrats!