Tuesday 5 August 2008

More torture in store

Haven't posted since the Trailwalker as have had nothing to report. I've recovered (just about). Lost two more toe nails and copious amounts of skin from my heels. I'm looking forward to the Kent 50 now but I'm nervous. I know I can cover the distance and also have the bonus of knowing that I won't be walking through the night. I don't mind the early start (register at 5am!!) as I'd rather that the the night walk.... psychologically very hard and something I will have to really give myself a good talking to about come next March.

I'm meeting fellow Mds nutters and forum friends Carol and Steph at a nearby Travelodge (sorted out by Carol) on Saturday night. Should be a laugh. Will also get to meet Rose from the forum too. I can't wait. We're all in the same boat (tho I still think I'm slighty behind in the fitness and experience stakes!!!) so should have a laugh if nothing else. One of my Trailwalker teammates is also doing it (Trev) so it'll be good to see him too. I'm hoping the weather's decent because we can leave our stuff at the start/finish of each lap so can top up with whatever we like every 6.55 miles. I keep telling myself that it's only 8 laps (!!!) which doesn't sound too bad. I might have a different opinion after 10 hours or so.

Andy and the girls are hopefully going to come up in the afternoon (weather permitting) to watch a bit and of course cart me home afterwards. I wish I could stay with Carol and Steph and have a good drink personally but needs must!

Once the Kent 50 is done and dusted I don't have any other ultra distance events lined up. I've got a training plan for Dublin thanks to Andy W (cheers matey) and when I've completed that, I'm going to start training with a pack. It all seems a bit surreal at the moment (and probably will do until I'm standing at Gatwick airport....). I can't imagine actually going/being there at all.

I'll be back on Sunday to let you know how it went.

1 comment:

Steph Cooke said...

Hi Rach

I am really looking foward to the weekend! Hope it will be dry, it will make it much easier.

I really don't think you're behind at all in the fitness and experience stakes- you have 60 miles under your belt! The longest I've done so far is 40...