Wednesday 20 August 2008

Shedding skin

My feet are a lot better but I'm still losing skin (to be honest, I keep peeling it off). My heels are quiet raw (ouch!) and a couple of toes too.

I am putting cream/vaseline on them with socks when I can (lovely) to try and get rid of the rough bits.

On Monday I ran on the treadmill. It was bliss to actually run (something I don't think I've actually done since Easter!). I did 3 miles and, much as I hate the treadmill, I was quite pleased with myself. I really need to get back on the roads though.

Once the girls go back to school I need to get stuck into my marathon training programme and I want to get to the gym and strengthen muscles in my legs and core. I won't be doing any more massive walks until the feet are 100% and I've got new trainers!

2 comments:

AlanC said...

Hi Rach, LFWM on the forum is giving good reviews to toe socks about their blister reducing potential. I'm thinking of giving them a go. May be something to consider, if you've not already.

Alan

Ian Cunliffe said...

Hi Rach,

As a fellow runner in the 2009 MDS I enjoyed reading about your training to date. Sorry to hear about the blister problems... I've got two underneath the nails of the toes on my right foot from running across Bermuda on Sunday. Foot problems... bleh!

One thing that has dramatically cut down on blister problems for me has been different socks (Injinji) with some corn starch to take up the moisture and then a thin second pair on top.

There is also a first rate book that deals exclusively on footcare for the endurance athlete called 'fixing your feet' that may be worth checking out.

Keep training and blogging and we'll see you in March!

Ian C, another crazy arathon des sables runner...