Tuesday 6 May 2008

Ouch!

I'm now panicking about feet. I did a 10 mile walk today and wore the Inov8s to test them out before Saturday. Well, I don't think I'll be wearing them! Because the toe box is so solid, I now have really sore big toes (the nails). I've got about an inch of room at the end of them but I think, when walking, my toes bang the top of the toe box, so now have really bruised toes. I taped the toes that normally blister and although I didn't get blisters, they are really sore. Mind you, the skin still hasn't come back properly! However, the little toe on my right foot is absolutely killing me. I got a sort of blister under the skin (which is quite hard anyway). I put a pin in it to release the fluid which has helped but it still hurts like hell. Its making me limp.

I really don't know what to do! I think I'll have to wear my running trainers for the Ridgeway. I know I'll get blisters, and I know my feet will be a mess, but I'll have to deal with that at the time. I'm going to tape my feet like mad and hope it stops them getting too blistered. I'm definitely ordering the foot book (recommended on the forum). I think its by a guy called Vonhoff so I'm going to have a look on Amazon. At least I can do this now, and hopefully figure out the best shoes/socks etc, so I don't suffer too badly next year. If my feet blistered after a 10 mile walk today, what hope have they got after a day in the desert!

I need to run more, and walk less I think - I don't get blisters from running! I'm not doing any other training this week because I need to repair my feet as much as possible before Saturday. It's supposed to be hot too!

I'm off to soak my poor feet....

2 comments:

Steph Cooke said...

Hi Rach, thanks for your comment, I used to get horrendous blisters when I did these challenge walks, but it seems to have got quite a bit better over time, I think once you have got the shoe/ sock combi sorted you will be fine. Although I did get one blister Sunday, so will probably get loads Saturday! Haven't decided what I will be wearing on my feet yet...
I was thinking of trying trail shoes too but thinking again now as I guess they are stiffer than running shoes. Do you think they need breaking in?
I'm hoping that the terrain Saturday will be quite easy so we may be ok! Hope your feet are back to normal soon!!

Aerothermal said...

The demands of the MdS on footwear are different to any race you'll find in the UK because of the terrain and the temperature. Innov8 are (in my experience) more of a hardcore fell running shoe and are too snug and have nowhere near enough cushioning for the MdS. My NB1100s gave me sore achilles in training because of their deep cushioning but they were perfect for the salt pans and stones of the desert.
Also, in the UK I swear by merrino socks but they are totally unsuitable for the MdS. Thin, soft, (cheap) synthetic ones would be my choice.

Paul (2008 MdS)