Thursday 22 May 2008

Ridgeway 40 and other things

Well its about time I updated this. Computer has been ill so haven't had access for ages. So here goes. I was doing the Ridgeway with two of my three teammates for the Trailwalker in July (it was a practice walk!!). Trev picked me up on the Friday night (9th May), and collected Gary along the way too. We arrived at the youth hostel (which I have to say I was quite impressed with). There were lots of walker type people around (plenty of beards to be seen etc). We did feel slightly out of place I have to say! Met up with other friends who are doing the Trailwalker too (Lou, Annie and Laura). We went to the pub (obviously) to talk about the following day and to sink a few drinks in preparation. We had to be back by 11pm as the doors of the YH would be shutting!

Got up at 5.45am to prepare for the day ahead. I had a rucksack which, to me, felt bloody heavy. Only weight 3kg so obviously I have a long way to go before MdS standards are reached! Saw Steph outside the youth hostel which was fab. SO good to meet a fellow MdSer!!! We had a few piccies taken to mark the occasion! We got the coach at about 6.45am (tho they were a bit delayed). There was much p*ss taking from the lads when I told them I had a survival mirror with me. Well, needs must, and you just can't take these things for granted. Besides, I wasn't the one with a map holder.....

We set off on our journey at about 8.10am. It was slightly overcast and a bit chilly but then it was early! I won't go into massive detail about the day but here's the basics:

I loved walking with the guys. We had a laugh along the way and a lot of quiet moments too. Trev twisted his ankle about 5 miles in and I think he struggled for a while. When we got to 14.5 miles there was a pub (which was the checkpoint). We stopped off and sorted out feet and ankles and took painkillers at this point. My big toes were killing as I had blisters under the nails from a walk the week before.

I think when we got to the half way point, we were all feeling a bit low. Still had a bloody long way to go and it was HOT. We were sweating buckets and jokes and larks were far behind us!! Mile 23 and I felt like were were getting somewhere. Light at the end of the tunnel? Not quite, but it was starting to feel achieveable. Mile 28 and the checkpoint from heaven landed. Hot drinks (tea, coffee, hot choc) and CAKES were widely available. We sat and rested and had a couple of cups of tea, a few flapjacks - lovely!!! I've never been so glad to have a hot drink!! I think a few more painkillers were taken at this point. Despite the fact that we knew we had at least another 4 hours of walking to do, we seemed to get a second wind here! The pace picked up and, dare I say it, we started to enjoy it!! The rest of the checkpoints were basically a quick drink and keep going! The last 3 miles were a blast and we were on fire!!! Speeding along (well, as much as you can after 37 miles).

We got back to the youth hostel at 8.40pm. We were so pleased with this because we estimated 9.30 or even 10 o'clock.

Despite my feet killing me from about the first mile, I actually did really enjoy this. I now feel like we have a really great team for the Trailwalker (tho Sean was missing) and I'm confident we can do it. Plus the Trailwalker is the nearest I'm going to get to the long stage of the MdS. Hoping it will be hot too!

A great day all in all and an 'ultra' distance under my belt.

No comments: