Thursday 5 June 2008

Couch Potato

I haven't written anything lately, because there's nothing to report! We were on holiday over half term in the Isle of Wight (which was lovely) and I can't say I did an awful lot of exercise while we were there. I had more skin taken from my back on Tuesday, so now I'm waiting for that to heal a bit before I start training again. Having a serious think about what I'm going to do. I'm going to start training (running) for the Dublin Marathon. I want to do well in that (better than previously) so if I start now I should have a fighting chance. In between running, I'll be walking longer distances and also going to the gym. Just have to work out a plan of what to do and when.

My back's driving me mad (as it did before). It feels sore and tight and I can lean back on it for too long. It was much better within a week last time (which was when I walked the Ridgeway), so I'm hoping that by the beginning of next week it'll be much better.

The dates are in for next year's MdS. It starts on March 27th (that's when we fly) and back on April 6th (I think). Slightly scary knowing the dates now. Makes it all the more real. Still number 2 on the waitlist and I don't think I'll relax completely until I'm an 'official' competitor. Having a good day today as far as confidence is concerned and am convinced I can do it. That could all change tomorrow!

Now that the Moonwalk is over (and I'm SOOOO glad its over!), I'm thinking that I might actually just raise money for Epilepsy Action. A few reasons really, but the main one is obviously because of my daughter, Ellie. I'm fully aware of the fact that things could be so much worse and she could be physically and/or mentally disabled or God forbid, terminally ill, but I can't always feel grateful about it because she's had to deal with so much. I can honestly say that not a day goes past when I don't look at her and feel like screaming my head off because life's so bloody unfair. She's been taking her new medication for almost two weeks (tomorrow) and it's made no difference whatsoever. Am I surprised? Not really. It's being increased tomorrow and so I'll spend the next two weeks watching her every move, wondering whether this is it. Again, I'm not holding my breath. So there you go. There's my reasoning for wanting any money I raise to go to Epilepsy Action. I've read stories about kids (and adults) who suffer terribly with Epilepsy, and the hell that parents go through trying to cope with it.

I haven't made a definite decision (and I may still raise money for a breast cancer charity), but as things stand at the moment, it may just be the one charity.

1 comment:

Steph Cooke said...

Hi Rach
Sounds really rough what poor Ellie is going through, and it must be pretty difficult to deal with, especially when you are watching her suffer. She sounds like an incredibly brave and special girl and I bet both your girls will be really proud of you. I really hope that the new medication does make a difference.
Hope your back's ok, and heals very soon.
I keep having crisis of confidence regarding the MdS but I am sure that we can do it!!